Take Action


Naked Man in Rush-Hour Traffic Was High on Meth, Grosse Pointe Woods Police Say

Detroit Free Press, April 24, 2012

A 29-year-old man from Livonia created quite a stir in Grosse Pointe Woods Monday afternoon when people reported seeing him running naked down Mack Avenue during rush hour.

Grosse Pointe Woods police said the man, who hasn’t been named because no charges have been filed, was high on methamphetamines when he was tasered and arrested after running through traffic while onlookers snapped photos.

“He admits this was a bad trip,” said Detective Sgt. Raymond Yonkowski of the Grosse Pointe Woods Department of Public Safety.

Yonkowski said the man had been taken to St. John Providence Health System in Detroit on Sunday night for symptoms of methamphetamine overdose by a neighboring police department. The following morning, he left the hospital, although it’s unclear if he was discharged or if he just left.

At about 5:15 p.m. on Monday, he walked up to a Grosse Pointe Woods police officer, still high. He asked for help, then started walking in and out of traffic on Mack Avenue, police said.

“He said, ‘You gotta protect me from them,’” said Yonkowski.

As the officer tried to corral him and called for backup, the man started taking off his clothes and continued to run in and out of traffic. He threw away his license, credit cards and car keys. The officer tased him and handcuffed him and an ambulance took him back to St. John.

Catherine Gattari of Grosse Pointe Woods said she saw the man get arrested. She said she saw photos on Twitter, and came out with friends to see what was going on.

By the time she got to the area around Mack Avenue and Lochmoor Boulevard, she saw four or five police cars in the area. The man was sitting on the curb, bleeding. She said she saw police arrest him, put pants on him and saw an ambulance take him to the hospital.

“This is the first time I’ve ever seen anything like that,” she said.

Yonkowski said he doesn’t expect charges to be filed against the man. This morning, he came to the police station to get his belongings, asked the department to call him a cab, and headed back to Livonia.

It’s unclear why he was in the area. Yonkowski said there were no major injuries or accidents as a result of the incident.